I am so honored I was invited me to participate in the Holiday Bake Craft Sew Along. This is an awesome annual event that is put together by Rachel from A Southern Fairytale, Kelly from According 2 Kelly and Cindy from Skip to My Lou.
This Holiday bake, craft and sew along is so fun and such an awesome way to start the holidays. Each day a talented and creative blogger will add a post that fits into the theme “a handmade homemade holiday.” You can see all the baking posts on Rachel’s blog, all the craft posts on Kelly’s blog, and all the sewing posts on Cindy’s blog. Prepare to be amazed and inspired!
Today I'm sharing my Butterscotch Pumpkin Spice Filled Ginger Snaps in the event.
Hello everyone! I hope that you are all recovering nicely from your Thanksgiving meals and Black Friday shopping. My name is Kayla from SayNotSweetAnne.com and I am so tickled to share today! Thanks so much to Rachel for inviting me, it's an honor to be in an event with SO MANY talented people. I'm a graphic designer by day, blogger by choice. My blog covers an array of fun things like crafts, recipes, and LOTS of printables. I'd love for you to visit me at my blog, on Facebook or Twitter!
Today I want to share one of my favorite go-to holiday recipes. These spicy ginger snaps are filled with a sweet butterscotch and pumpkin filling, spiced with a little pumpkin spice. I usually pull this one out for work functions, or when I don't have a lot of time. I'll show you how to make the gingersnaps from scratch, but I won't tell if you're running behind and decide to start with some store bought snaps. ;D
The Ginger Snaps
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (preferably dark)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (plus extra for rolling)
- 1/4 cup dark unsulphered molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Using a stand or a hand mixer, whip butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the molasses, egg and vanilla. Beat until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer slowly, and mix until well combined.
- Chill the batter until firm (20-30 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place some white sugar in a separate bowl. (I use a Cinnamon sugar) Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. I use a small melon scoop to portion them evenly.
- Roll the balls in the sugar and place them on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Using a plate or the bottom of a glass, flatten the balls slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until cookies feel dry on top. (Cook longer for more crispiness.)
- Let snaps cool on a wire baking sheet while you prepare the filling.
The Butterscotch Pumpkin Spice filling
- 1 bag of butterscotch chips
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 1 can cream cheese frosting
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin spice (I use the Chai spice from my Roasted Acorn Squash & Chai Ice Cream recipe. I make a bunch at once and use it for everything!)
- Microwave the butterscotch chips in a large bowl for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until melted.
- Add the pumpkin, spices, and 1/2 of the can of frosting.
- Stir until combined. If needed, microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- While warm, pipe the filling onto the bottoms of half of your ginger snaps.
- After a few minutes the filling will soft-set. Add the top snap.
- Once filled, the snaps will absorb some moisture from the filling. It makes them more of a whoopie pie texture than a true, crunchy, snap. My family prefers them this way- but if you want yours to be snappy when your guests eat them, hold off on filling until the last possible moment.
I hope you have liked my recipe and that you enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend! It's been great to share with you today, and I can't wait to see what the next blogger shares!
For more recipes (Like my No-machine Cheesecake Ice Cream) as well as some really great DIY printables (like my Paper Advent Calendar) and crafts (Like my Lunchable Jar) don't forget to stop by and visit me at SayNotSweetAnne.com!
I can't believe the talented people that are a part of this amazing lineup- and I am SO PROUD to be one of them! But wait! There's more! As a participant of the Bake Craft & Sew Along, I get to offer you this giveaway!
Enter to win
- $100 Shop Credit To Sweet! Baking Supplies
- Decorating Cookies: 60+ Designs for Holidays, Celebrations & Everyday
- Focus On Food Photography for Bloggers (Focus On Series): Focus on the Fundamentals
- Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Cookie Cravings by Maria Lichty – Two Peas and Their Pod