It’s funny, I feel like I spend all winter waiting for summer heat, and then when it got here this year – it was TOO hot! Yesterday was over 95° here with over 70% humidity. I felt like I was going to melt 30 seconds after I stepped out the front door. So, as much as I LOVE barbecue in the summer time, I certainly wasn’t about to slave over a hot grill for it. I know, I know, oven baking on a hot day is heating my house up too. I agree – but I decided that was what central air conditioning is for, and powered right along.
This recipe is a one pan (yay!) super easy (double yay!) and delicious dinner idea that screams summertime. Bacon and red onion add a depth of flavor you just don’t get by basting chicken in sauce, and the oven baked method leave the chicken tender and juicy.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup barbacue sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 4 strips of bacon; sliced in half
- Glass or other oven safe baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper (add a bit of cayenne if you want some extra heat!)
- Put two of the chicken breasts in the bottom of your small baking dish.
- Top the breasts with bacon and onion (you could also wrap in the bacon).
- Cover the chicken, bacon and onion in about 1/2 cup barbecue sauce.
- Repeat with the next 2 breasts (laying them on top of the first two) and using a brush or spoon to even out the second helping of sauce.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through (160° – 185° internal temperature).
- That’s it! I like to serve it with corn on the cob and a little bit of home made pickle salad.
What about your family? Do you have any go-to meals for when it’s too hot to grill? Takeout maybe? Ice-cream for dinner?
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- Adorable Unicorn Treat Bags to Delight and Surprise - May 21, 2018
- Tested Tuesday: The Nostalgic Candy Company - April 24, 2018
- 5 Delightful Coffee Recipes and Crafts That will Make You Buzz - April 14, 2018