Oh, summer: a dear old friend that I never get tired of. Except when it’s 90% humidity and 95° outside.
It’s safe to say that summer is my favorite season. From the wardrobe, to the outdoor activities, down to summer-themed food, shining sun always seems to be a mood-lifter for me.
On really hot days, I tend to turn to salads as my main course for their freshness factor and how they’re so light on the belly. I remember being slightly obsessed with spinach salads one year and finding all sorts of ways to prepare them.
This season, I noticed that I’ve often been turning to quinoa for its delicious texture and how it combines so well with so many veggies and nuts. I’ve been making a lot of quinoa based salads and I decided to share one of my favorite quinoa recipes for you to try out and hopefully, enjoy as a healthy, summer meal. Bon appetit!
Refreshing Quinoa-Raisin Salad
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell-pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- juice of half a lemon
- salt, pepper, and dried parsley to taste
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
Yields: 2 servings
- Start by preparing your quinoa. In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add quinoa. Let cook for 8 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Place the quinoa in a large bowl and add raisins, pepper, and red onion. Mix thoroughly.
- Next, add your lemon juice and mix. Top it off with a couple pinches of salt, black pepper, and parsley. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.