This baked pear recipe get’s me thinking. I don’t know exactly why – but we never really had pears when I was growing up. I used to have fun carving apple jack-o-lanterns, writing messages on banana skins, and trying to catch grapes in my mouth, but I can’t remember ever having a pear until I was in my early teens. Maybe my mom didn’t like them? Maybe they were too expensive?
Now that I’m in charge of my own grocery shopping, I buy pears almost every week. They are definitely one of my absolute favorite fruits – and baked they are even better.
This baked pears recipe serves two, but could easily be doubled for guests. It doesn’t have a ton of extra sugar, and the pear gets to shine! Its pictures with a little simple strawberry and blueberry sauce, but you could swap in maple syrup and whipped cream, or any other fruit compote that you like,
- 2 ripe pears
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 12-14 strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces water
- Baking sheet
- Small pot
- Blender, food processor or potato masher
- Preheat the oven to 350°, wash and dry your pears.
- Put the pears on a baking sheet and coat with honey. You can use a basting brush, or just drizzle the honey and let it drip down.
- Sprinkle the pears with cinnamon and let bake for 30 minutes.
- While the pears bake, prep the fruit compote. Wash and dry your blueberries and strawberries, making sure there are no stems.
- Combine the berries and agave nectar in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth (you could also hand mask with a potato masher in a large bowl).
- Set the fruit compote aside and begin the hard sugar decoration.
- Combine water in a small pot over medium heat. Once combined, let it come to boil for 5-10 minutes or until it is a golden color.
- Using caution (hot sugar WILL BURN like none-other) gently pour the sugar onto a lightly greased baking sheet or silicone mat. Drizzle it in whatever design you like.
- Once done, remove the pears and plate them with the compote, and top with the sugar crips!