Even as I’m writing this, I don’t know if this is a tradition that is unique to my family. For some reason, every New Year’s Eve, we have Root beer Floats. Sometimes its just regular root beer, sometimes its the special kind you can buy in glass bottles. It’s pretty much the only time of the year we do it- and its QUITE the show! All of us, fizzy bubbling concoctions in hand, watching the Ball Drop on TV. This year, I wanted to do something special. So, when I saw these GIANT glass mugs at the dollar store, I bought one for everyone in my immediate family. Then, I set about making them special for the occasion. What do you think?
What You will Need:
- Nail Polish Remover or rubbing Alcohol.
- A Razor Blade
- Stencils, if desired.
- Painter’s tape
- Paint Brushes
- Martha Stewart Multi Surface paint in Black, and contrasting colors.
How It’s Made:
- Gather your materials.
- Remove the stickers from the glass.
- Rub with nail polish remover or alcohol to remove any oil from the surface.
- Tape off a section (try to stay level), going all the way across the mug.
- Paint in that section black with Martha Stewart Multi-Surface paint. (It took me a couple coats.) Once dry, carefully peel away the tape.
- Use a razor blade to scrape off any bits you smudged or that bled through the tape.
- Add your additional black bits. I used a sticky stencil to make this pretty dot pattern. I tried out a couple different patterns, so that each mug will be unique.
- Put mugs in a cool oven. Turn the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 min. Allow mugs to cool completely in the oven. This sets the paint.
- Now time for your second layer. I used a skewer to place dots in the shape of fireworks, and a small brush to paint “Happy New Year” on each. I recommend practicing how you want the script to look before moving to the glass. You could also use a stencil.
- Bake again, in the same way as before. The mugs are now dishwasher top-rack safe and ready for some fizzy action!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019
- Download 2019 Free Printable Planners - December 11, 2018