I know it doesn’t look like much. I considered not even sharing this Coffee Scrub because it looks, well, like dirt. But let me tell you – you can’t judge this scrub by its color. I’ve been looking for a while for a good facial scrub to use periodically with my DIY Face moisturizer and DIY Thyme Toner, but with all the damage done to the Great Lakes with microbeads, I wasn’t really in the mood to select something off the shelf.
Coffee Scrub to the rescue! I like to drink coffee (when mixed with chocolate) but it also has some nice benefits when applied topically. Coffee is full of antioxidants, and its acidity can help to provide a chemical exfoliation on top of the mechanical act of scrubbing. Caffeine in coffee can restrict blood vessels, which minimizes redness and puffiness. There are even some studies that suggest it might reduce cellulite.
Plus, with the addition of moisturizing and anti-bacterial coconut oil, I feel confident using the scrub sparingly on my face as well as liberally everywhere else!
What You Need:
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 drops Vitamin E oil
- Optional – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How To Make It
- Combine the coffee and the sugars in a bowl and then add the coconut oil.
- Mix until the scrub is thoroughly combined. Depending on the temperature of your room, the coconut oil might require a little elbow grease in order to mix well.
- Add the vitamin E oil and optional scent or essential oils (essential oils are powerful things! Always test for allergies and research the side effects of an oil before you put it on your skin)
- Transfer to an airtight container for use up to 6 months. Always scoop scrub out with a clean utensil, rather than your fingers. This will help keep bacteria away! (Although the acidity of the coffee is likely to keep most things at bay anyway.)
Overall, the process is a lot like the brown sugar scrub I made for my mother a while back. The basic scrub premise leaves room for a TON of possibilities!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Coasters made with Permanent Markers - May 30, 2019
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019