Whenever I go camping, I tend to bring a lot of camp food. Something about cooking over a fire just amazes me. I think it is partially the idea that open-fire cooking is almost as old as humanity. Partially, I think it’s because of the child-like joy I get unwrapping something from tinfoil and discovering a tasty treat inside. So, when I came across Ben’s article about Orange Cinnamon rolls– I had to see what it was all about.
This can’t really be considered a recipe, as pop-fresh cinnamon rolls take the hard work out of it. I suppose you could do this with home made cinnamon rolls, but you might want to use your oven and grill. I don’t know if I’m enthusiastic enough to make camp food cinnamon rolls from scratch with nothing but my camp kit and a picnic table.
We made this the first morning of our 4 day camp stay, and everyone loved them! I had to make a second round in the same shells just to appease the masses. I call that a success!
What You Need:
- Cinnamon Rolls in a pop-tube.
- Cream Cheese Frosting (Unless your rolls come with some)
- Oranges (One for each roll)
How To Make It
- We loaded the rolls into our cooler and they were good to go the morning we made the rolls. We gathered our oranges and sliced them in half. Then we scooped out the orange and left the peel. (We saved the oranges and ate them throughout the next 2 days.)
- Open the rolls, and place one in each orange. I found it helpful to keep orange halves paired with their mate. It made the next step easier.
- Top each filled half with its mate. Wrap the peels in foil and put an X on the top.
- Place oranges in medium heat coals, flipping upside down once while cooking. (This took us about 12 min.)
- Additionally, you could do this on a grill if you don’t have a fire going in the morning.
- Remove from heat and open foil. Drizzle some frosting on each one and enjoy when cool enough to eat!!
- That’s it! And cleanup is a breeze, since the orange is the plate. You can tell by the empty shells they were a hit! You could sort of taste the orange if you were looking for it, but for the most part they tasted just like at home!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- 5 Delightful Coffee Recipes and Crafts That will Make You Buzz - April 14, 2018
- Dark Magic Chocolate Mocha Brownies - April 10, 2018
- 20 delightful gifts that even a toddler can make - April 3, 2018