I’m not really big into sewing. Every now and then I take a stab at it, and it usually turns out pretty good, but its not relaxing for me. I do most of my crafting to unwind. But now that my son The Squish is getting older, I am constantly wanting to make things for him. He’s too young for paper – which pretty much leaves fabric and sewing.
This Christmas I wanted to make Squish some adorable blocks. I knew that he was likely to get wooden blocks from family as a gift, and I wanted something he could grasp and throw without danger of damage. Plus I found these ADORABLE quarters at the fabric store and I wanted to make something out of them!
I do a lot of printables that revolve around boxes, so I decided to apply the same logic. Boxes all have 6 sides, so I picked out 6 panels of the pre-cut fabric (what a time saver!) I even stamped a few of the panels with Squish’s initial to make them extra special.
All in all the 3 blocks only took me about an hour, and the materials cost was less than $10.
What You Need:
- Fabric squares, or fabric cut into squares. Mine are 4″ x 4″.
- Sewing machine or needle + thread
- Polyester batting
How To Make It:
- The easiest way to start is by sewing 4 of the squares together, right sides facing like shown.
- Now, add 2 more squares, these will be the top and the bottom.
- Now, start to sew the rest of the edges together. If you imagine a 3D box, you can see which edges should touch. Keep everything right sides together. On the final edge, leave 2″ open for turning/stuffing.
- Turn out your block, it’s starting to look good!
- Press your seams. This goes a LONG way to making the finished product look like a crisp cube.
- Stuff the cube, being careful to get in the corners so that they fill out. The cube can be bulging or crisp, depending on how much you fill it.
- Sew your stuffing/turning hole closed. Voila! You have an adorable soft block!!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- Adorable Unicorn Treat Bags to Delight and Surprise - May 21, 2018
- Tested Tuesday: The Nostalgic Candy Company - April 24, 2018
- 5 Delightful Coffee Recipes and Crafts That will Make You Buzz - April 14, 2018