I’ve had this idea in my head for a while, ever since I saw this Candy Buttons post by the Amazing SugarBelle . I never particularly cared for candy buttons when I was a kid, but The concept of it has always been intriguing. Candy arranged neatly on a peice of paper. But what if it was decorating something instead? That’s how I came up with this!!
Using the idea of candy buttons and some hard candy gem molds, I’ve used royal icing to secure these beautiful candy ornaments to the tree. All together the process was super simple, and made so many gems! This would be something great to have set up at the Kid’s table at Christmas, or to give away to classmates. But think of the possibilities! Jeweled princess crowns as a little girl’s birthday favor! Glittering jewels in a treasure box for a boy’s favor. I’m just so tickled about it!
What You Need:
For the base paper:
- Heavy cardstock
- Christmas Tree Printable
- Royal Icing
For the Hard Candy:
- Corn Syrup
- Food Coloring
- Gem Mold
How To Make It:
- I couldn’t even begin to make a rock candy tutorial as good as the one over at Chica and Joe. I made mine following their instructions to the letter- except I did have to heat my sugar to 300 before it was hard crack. When I did it at 270 it was still tacky and stuck to my teeth. :/
NOTE: You could also make this with store bought hard candies. They might be a little too big for the tree- but it would save some time!
- Print out your tree on heavy cardstock.
- Mix up some icing. (I just mixed powdered sugar with water until it was the right consistency)
- Dot your tree with little globs of icing. Be careful not to use too much or it’ll squish out from under your jewels.
- Place the jewels on the icing and wait for the icing to dry.
- Package in a pretty gallon zip-top bag and finish it with a pretty decoration!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- How to make stunning snow globe photo ornaments - December 4, 2019
- DIY Tempting Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub you will Crave - October 30, 2019
- How to Dye Yarn Easily and with beautiful results - October 16, 2019