Out of all of the holidays my family celebrates every year, I almost never decorate for Easter. Not because I don’t want to, or because I don’t have time, but because there just isn’t a lot of Easter decor that appeals to me. The wash of pastel eggs, green grass and fluffy farm animals doesn’t suit my particular decorating tastes.
This year I’ve vowed to use the built in bookshelf in our living room to the fullest. I promised that the bottom shelf would be a themed area, always decorated with our favorite decorations for each major holiday. It was easy for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I found myself at a roadblock when I started planning for Easter. So, I took to the internet. I found this adorable and elegant Easter glittered bunny on the Pottery Barn website.
I like those bunnies, but my built in bookshelf is a stark white. I needed something with color, and I didn’t want to pay $20 plus shipping. So, I made my own! This bunny uses our living room accent color, and it is far more durable than ceramic. I love it!
What You Need:
- Paper Mache bunny (I got mine at Joann – but this one from Amazon could work too!)
- Mod Podge
- Fine Glitter in your choice of color
- Bow, flower etc.
How To Make it:
- Prep your work surface to keep glitter from going everywhere. I wish I’d done a better job of this.
- Using a large brush and working in relatively small areas, brush the mod podge on the bunny and then coat liberally with glitter. Its okay if a little of the bunny shows through.
- Allow the first coat to dry thoroughly.
- Using a gentle brush, brush off any access glitter from the bunny.
- Repeat step 2 to give the bunny a second coat. You might want to transfer your mod podge to a small container so that you don’t get glitter in the larger jar.
- Let dry
- Use hot glue or a pin to secure your bow. This flower was originally a pin, so I poked the pin into the bunny’s body (ouch!) and it holds securely.
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Coasters made with Permanent Markers - May 30, 2019
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019