I don’t know if it’s typical, but my best memories of Easter baskets as a child are not really candy related. Each year in addition to candy, the Easter Bunny left a few trinkets in my basket. One year it was a hip 90’s Yo-Yo Ball, sometimes it was pretty hair bows, and once it was a kitten.
Now, since a kitten a year is probably not feasible – I’ve been working on a great DIY trinket that is a great addition to any basket. DIY projects are easy to customize and could be made every year for a special Easter collection. Plus, this concept could be applied to any number of ideas, not just an Easter Necklace.
What You Need:
- Salt Dough (Recipe Here at my DIY Salt Dough Ornaments)
- Oven, or small toaster oven.
- Egg shaped Cookie Cutter
- Sand Paper or rough emory board
- Mod Podge (Regular gloss and Dimensional Magic)
How To Make It:
- Start with your dough, roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick and use your cookie cutter to cut an egg shape. Be sure to cut a hole for it to hang from! I like to use a straw to poke out a perfect circle.
- Bake your dough low and slow (to prevent puffing) I like 250° for several hours, until baked all the way through. I use a small toaster oven for this.
- Sand down the edges and surface of your finished piece so that it is nice and smooth
- Paint the egg in your desired base color on the front and back. Let dry.
- Use the Mod Podge to coat the front of the egg, and cover with your coordinating glitter. Let Dry.
- Seal the front and back of the pendant. I love Mod Podge Dimensional Magic for the front, you put it on thick and it makes a really nice glossy depth. You could use regular Mod Podge all the way around though, just to seal the glitter. Let Dry.
- Done! Finish with a lovely ribbon, or a chain, or leave it as is and put a magnet on the back.
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Coasters made with Permanent Markers - May 30, 2019
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019