Last April fools day ThinkGeek pulled a prank about Marshmallow Creepers. These were Peeps that looked like Creepers from the popular indie game Minecraft. Well, needless to say it went over well, and people were sorely disappointed to discover that they could not actually purchase them.
For months I’ve been thinking about making my own marshmallows. So when I remembered these little guys , I knew just what to make! And let me tell you, these were so easy. All this time I was putting off making marshmallows because of the whole boiling sugar part. It was NO BIG DEAL!! So let’s get to it shall we?
- 3/4 cup green Sugar (Make your own!)
- 3 packets of unflavored gelatin
- 1.5 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup cold water (divided)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Stand mixer (This one is beautiful!)
- Free Printable Label
How to make Minecraft Creeper Marshmallows:
- Prep work is key here. Start by using a spray non stick coating to cover a 9×13 pan and the paddle of a rubber spatula.
- Pour half of the cold water into the stand mixer bowl, and add the gelatin packets. I didn’t even stir.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add the rest of the water, the sugar and corn syrup. Heat on medium high and stir until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Use a candy thermometer and let the mixture come up to 240 degrees without stirring.
- Once the mixture comes to temp, move to the mixer. Turn the mixer on low with the whisk, and slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture. Once all if the melted sugar is in the mixing bowl, turn the mixer up to high.
- Let mixture whip until thick and about triple in volume. For me it was 12 minutes. Add 1 tsp of vanilla to the mixture in the last minute of whisking.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan, using the greased spatula to scoop it out and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle some green sugar all over the top while it is still sticky, and leave it alone for at least an hour.
- After the marshmallows have cooled, turn the block out into a shallow cookie sheet (this will help you save the sugar) coat the rest of the sides in your sugar. Use a greased pizza cutter to cut it into long rectangle blocks about 3 times taller than they are wide. Coat the naked edges in the sugar.
- With a greased knife, cut the legs of the creeper (there are 4), and dust the bare marshmallow with sugar.
How to add Creeper Faces:
- After all of your bodies are ready, it’s time to do the faces! I used chocolate ganache (2tsp chocolate chips to 1tsp heavy cream melted in the microwave) and a toothpick to paint the squares. Start with the mouth, then the eyes, the the frown.
- Once your faces are done, you’re ready to package! I made a super cute label you can download here. Slip the creepers into a zip lock and either staple the label to the top, or tuck it in with them. Done!
These were so fun to make, I’m brimming with other themed ideas! I could see these at a Minecraft kids’ party, or just a special treat For the gamer in your life. They are too funny!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019
- Download 2019 Free Printable Planners - December 11, 2018