Sometimes a craft is born from necessity. In the case of this craft, my sister and I had finished making The World’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies and successfully dirtied every utensil and bowl in the house, when we realized we were all out of dishwasher tablets.
Having seen variations on dishwasher tabs, I turned directly to my bookmarks, where I had three recipes waiting for me. I only had a few of the ingredients, so I ended up combining all three to reach this! Voila! They smell amazing, they wash the dishes and they cost me pennies. My baby sister even remarked that they were so easy, it hardly counts as a post. (What does she know anyway! ;P)
What You Need:
- I.5 cups washing soda (Like this one on Amazon)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (This is good for water stains. Add less or none if you have soft water)
- 2 packets lemonade mix (without sugar)
- 1 cup water
- Wax Paper
How To Make Them:
- Combine all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Gently pour in water. It will fizz. Wait a minute so that most of the fizzing has died down.
- Stir the mixture until it is evenly one texture. To me it felt like wet sand.
- Use a melon baller or a teaspoon to measure out your pellets. Keep the shape and size of your dishwasher’s receptacle in mind. These large melon balls are perfect for mine.
- Let them dry for 24-48 hours. Strangely, as they dry the lemon smell goes away- but once they are wet in the dishwasher it comes back!
- Store in a gallon zip-top bag or another clean, dry place.
That’s it! We’ve been using ours exclusively for a week or so now, and I cannot believe how well it compares to the $8 a bag we were spending.
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- Download 2019 Free Printable Planners - December 11, 2018
- How to Make a Skin Routine Caddy with your Favorite Skin Products - December 6, 2018
- How to Make a Beautiful and Meaningful Printable Advent Calendar - November 19, 2018