Autumn is in the air. Autumn is definitely one of my absolute favorite seasons, I have been waiting for this since the oppressive heat wave we called “summer” began several months ago. The crisp dry air, the earth scented breezes and the magnificent colors are a comfort and a delight.
Of course, the farmer’s market becomes one of the most happening places in town this time of year, brimming with countless veggies and other offerings. Last year, my husband and I bought and acorn squash to try a new dessert. It. Was. Amazing. So this year, as soon as I started to feel the chill, I began craving it. This time though, I added ice cream!
Roasted Acorn Squash
I just can’t get over how delicious and sweet these are. I’m not usually a big pumpkin pie fan, so this is my quintessential fall flavored dessert. Plus, I love to use super fresh squash from the local farmer’s market.
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds/strings.
- Score the inside of the squash several times, to allow the toppings to seep in.
- Place halves in a baking dish, open side up. Fill dish with 1/4 inch water.
- Coat the interior of the halves with butter. Spread brown sugar over butter, and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until squash is tender and tops are browned.
Chai Spice Ice Cream
Ever since I made the Cheese Cake Ice Cream, I have been IN LOVE with making quick flavored ice creams at home. This recipe is pretty much the same as the Cheese Cake Ice Cream, but with different additives. Plus- you don’t need an ice cream maker!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (about a cup)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Metal pan
- 1 hour before making, place pan in the freezer.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, set aside.
- Add spices to condensed milk. Mix until smooth.
- Gently fold condensed milk mixture into heavy cream.
- Once combined, spread ice cream mixture into pan.
- Place ice cream into freezer until firm. 4-6 hours.
Serve ice cream with warm squash and you have a fall flavored dessert that’s out of the ordinary and exquisitely delicious. I hope you all try it, and let me know what you think!