I’m an ice cream purist. Very rarely do I ever like chunks of things in my creamy confections. I avoid chocolate chunks, candy and nuts in my ice cream and even strawberry seeds in my smoothies! But, when I was little my family lived by a country store. They specialized in Hudsonville ice cream (made in Michigan – not in Hudsonville, in Holland =P ). I remember going up there with my mom or dad, and ordering Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. It was creamy and delicious, with graham cracker crust and swirls of strawberry. For years after we moved away I would tell people that was my favorite dessert- even though I haven’t had it since.
So I’m particular about my ice cream. I’m particular about my cheesecake too. I’ve had cheesecake ice creams with chunks of “New York” style cheesecake, but that’s just not my style. Gimme a Jell-O no-bake cheesecake over a “for real” cheesecake any day.
Today, I’ve combined my love of simple ice cream and my love of Jell-O cheesecake. I present to you Cheesecake Ice Cream.
You see, it all started with this post from The Sunday Sparkle. For years I’ve put off making ice cream at home because I don’t have an ice cream maker. I’ve made small amounts using the salt/zip lock bag trick, but nothing fancy. The recipe at The Sunday Sparkle just had me spoon the mixture into a pan and freeze it! Immediately, I knew I what I was going to make.
Oh-my-gosh-it’s-so-delicious. I made it on Sunday and its all gone now. I’ve had a little bit after every meal this week. For those of you who read my Who I want to be post- don’t fret. I’m still “watching” what I eat. To me, that’s the difference between watching and dieting. I know that this ice cream is not something I should eat the whole pint of. But having a little as it fits into my day is fine by me. Oh, and I went ahead and added the recipe on Livestrong.com, so you can check the nutrition facts below, and if you use Livestrong, the recipe is here. The calorie count is not bad for ice cream, and I made it!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (about a cup)
- Jell-O no bake cheesecake mix
- 5tbs butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- Metal pan
- ice cube trays (optional)
- 1 hour before making, place pan in the freezer.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare crust as directed on Jell-O package. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheesecake mix (just the powder part) to condensed milk. Beat with a beater 1-2 minutes. Mixture will be grainy.
- Gently fold condensed milk mixture into heavy cream.
- Once combined, spread 1/3 of ice cream mixture into pan.
- Spoon in clumps of crust mixture.
- Repeat until all ice cream mixture is used.
- If you have extra crust mix (and you probably will) pack it into pretty ice cube molds to use as garnish.
- Place ice cream into freezer until firm. 4-6 hours.
- If you used the cheesecake mix that comes with a filling, drizzle some on top and garnish with your fancy molded crust!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Tempting Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub you will Crave - October 30, 2019
- How to Dye Yarn Easily and with beautiful results - October 16, 2019
- Gorgeous Hand Crafted Miniature Kitchenaid Mixer - September 26, 2019