Off and on I’ve lightly discussed my over-grooming tendencies. Essentially, I have a compulsion when dealing with stress where I over critique and “groom” my skin. Usually by way of scratching/picking pimples and blackheads on my face. The official name is dermatillomania. Sometimes until it hurts. Its shameful, and I’m reminded of my own bad choice for days afterward as the redness and puffiness subsides.
Obviously, there’s a larger issue there. I’ve been seeing a psychologist for some time about it, and I’m happy to say I’m making progress. Today I’m going to share with you one of my “secret” tricks.
This all natural face mask is something I make up and use when I’m feeling particularly “groom”-y. I take a breath, go gather the ingredients for this, spend a minute making them and then apply it to my face. Usually the distraction is long enough for my want of “grooming” to subside, but if it’s not, the mask stays on for 15 minutes and by the time it’s done, I’m no longer interested in picking. I have a couple of other tricks, like my DIY Mineral Makeup that make me feel I’m helping – rather than hurting- my skin.
Also- it works. I feel so pretty and glowy after using this, that any over-critique of my face is obliterated. All of the ingredients are natural, so its gentle enough to use every day. For me it visibly reduces pore size, brightens and firms my skin. Not to mention it smells divine. Oh, and did I mention there are only 3 ingredients!? Here we go!
What You Need:
- Oatmeal – According to my (rather limited) research, oatmeal contains healthy fats and polysacharides that help to moisturize and repair skin. Also, it contains cleansing saponins that help to remove dirt from pores.
- Raw Honey- Honey is a natural antiseptic, and helps to kill bacteria on the skin. Raw honey promotes tissue growth and contains mild acides that help to remove dead skin and increase elasticity. (source) I use regular store bought honey in a pinch.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil (optional) – I throw this in there specifically for acne. The disinfectant and oil balancing properties make it a prime choice for me!
(NOTE: essential oils are powerful, and you might have an allergy. If you’ve never used Grapefruit essential oil before, be sure to mix 1 drop with a carrier oil such as olive oil and put it on the skin inside your elbow. Wait 24 and if no reaction occurs, you can use it on your face.)
How To Make It:
- Use a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or food processor to create a flour like powder from the oatmeal. I usually run it through the food processor and then sift out the fine part, since I can never seem to make the whole lot of it a powder. This keeps for eons, so make a bit and store it for later!
- In a small jar combine oatmeal powder with enough honey to make a thick paste. In my experience, un-refrigerated, this lasts at least 2 weeks. So I usually make quite a bit. (I don’t know if it goes bad after 2 weeks, I’ve just never had any left by then!)
- If desired, add 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil and mix in.
- Wash and dry your face. Use steam or a hot towel to open your pores. (I usually sit on the couch with a hot towel over my face for about 3 minutes.)
- Apply the mask gently with your fingertips wherever you would like. Its sticky, so avoid your hairline and eyebrows as well as your eyes.
- Relax! Take 15-20 minutes to chill and have a spa moment.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry!
Check out my other Beauty Related posts!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019
- Download 2019 Free Printable Planners - December 11, 2018
- How to Make a Skin Routine Caddy with your Favorite Skin Products - December 6, 2018