I love antique stores. I rarely buy anything because everything in them is usually too rich for my blood, but I love looking. One of the trends I’ve been seeing has to do with hanging reclaimed windows as art. Its really a beautiful touch, a worn, paint peeling window becomes an impromptu picture frame, or mirror.
Well, as I mentioned, that’s usually expensive. Also, my walls are covered in 100 year old plaster, that will in NO WAY tolerate the weight of an actual window. So, when I was at the dollar store the other day, I came up with (what I think) is a brilliant idea. A faux window made out of light weight frames!
What You Will Need:
- 3 dollar store “poster” frames. They are unfinished and wooden, as well as very light and larger than 8×10.
- Wood glue
- Popsicle Sticks
- Clear drying glue stick
- Crackle medium (optional)
How To Make It:
- First, remove the glass from the frames and set aside. Then, line the frames up -face down- sides touching. Use wood glue to glue Popsicle sticks where the frames touch. Don’t be afraid to use a lot of Popsicle sticks.
- Once dry, flip over and begin painting. If you are using a crackle medium, put that down first. Once dry, paint with a flat finish paint of your choice. I really liked the effect of the crackle. If you wanted you could also scuff them a bit with sandpaper after they are dry too!
- Prepare your glass for your photos. (I got my vintage birds from The Graphic Fairy.) I made a little guide paper to go underneath the glass so I could be sure all the images were centered. BE SURE TO CLEAN THE GLASS.
- Once ready, use your dry-clear glue stick on the face of the photo/image. Then glue face down onto the glass.
- Once the photos are on the glass, return the glass to the frames.
- YOU’RE DONE! Start to finish this took me less than an hour! At first glance it really does look like a window! Perfect for my french-cottage bedroom. =D
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Tempting Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub you will Crave - October 30, 2019
- How to Dye Yarn Easily and with beautiful results - October 16, 2019
- Gorgeous Hand Crafted Miniature Kitchenaid Mixer - September 26, 2019