I rarely give store-bought gifts. Its just my nature to make something -hopefully cute- to give a friend or relative. Every now and then I want to give something *extra* special. For example, this weekend was my best friend Amy’s bridal shower. It was my first time really meeting her family, and while I’m not in the wedding I want to do everything I can to make the day special for her. I really wanted to get something she could use, because being a broke new bride is not easy (I would know). But I also wanted to make sure that it was heartfelt, and that she would think of me whenever she saw it.
I finally settled on some Pyrex that she had registered for, with the addition of 2 kitchen towels. I personalized them both.
What you need:
- NEW Pyrex or Anchor dishes.(The old formula will not etch)
- Armour Etch
- Gloves, Newspaper, protective covering.
- Stencil for the name ( I made mine with vinyl on my Silhouette)
- Two kitchen towels
- Fabric paint
How To Make It:
- Figure out the center of the side of your dish. Center your stencil there. The self adhesive stencils work the best for this project, as you might need to etch and re-etch without removing the stencil.
- Apply the Armour etch according to directions. Be careful not to get it on yourself or anything else. I globbed it right on. Let set 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water – avoid removing your stencil if you can. Since mine was adhesive vinyl, it held up through the rinsing just fine.
- Let the design dry and have a look at it. If it is etched enough for you- you’re done! If not, repeat the last step. I etched each of mine twice.
- I also wanted to add some towels in amy’s favorite kitchen color. So, while making the stencil for the fill name, I made one with just the first letter. I centered it on the towel and dabbed the paint on until covered. Voila!
Everyone at the shower loved the dishes, and Amy was happy as well. Now she’s all set for potlucks and gatherings- not to mention home-cooked meals for her soon-to-be hubby!
Latest posts by Kayla Domeyer (see all)
- DIY Coasters made with Permanent Markers - May 30, 2019
- Simplified Easy French Cruller How to and Recipe - April 17, 2019
- How to Make Luscious and Easy Honey Butter Lip Scrub - February 15, 2019